Friday 24 January 2014

Dragon's Everywhere

I've been researching some other dragon illustrations out there but not the adult kind, the kind which are aimed at children. I've discovered some beautifully wonderful work, not to mention some seriously skilled and creative illustrators. 

The thing with dragons is that the number of types, sizes, colours, talents and even cultures is endless. I'm currently doing my dissertation on Fantasy art (to put it simply) and dragons are a big deal. They are incredible because there is hardly a culture which does not include them. The myths and legends they play a part in is timeless it seems and they can be pure evil or heart warningly good. They can be bound to any of the four elements and magical or not have an ounce of magic in them.  They don't even have to be scaly, they can have feathers and be fluffy too. 
So it's no surprise that when it comes to illustrating them, creating them, we as artists, can let our imagination run wild. I would certainly like the world to know about 'my' type of dragon, just like these fantastic illustrators.

Laura Diehl



Kei Acedera

Tony Diterlizzi



Jackie Morris



I particularly like Jackie Morris' work, simply because I love the added details she puts into her work which makes the creatures a little less realistic and over-the-top. For example, the claws on her dragons are so curly it would seem impossible for them to do anything with. I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see Tell Me a Dragon here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. I think your illustrations are stunning.

    ReplyDelete